Replatform GIS Solution
Evo Energy had an on-premises complex GIS System that they wanted to move to the cloud. In addition to setting up the design of the environment, they wanted to be able to increase their agility by using Continuous Delivery utilizing high levels of automation. Evo Energy also wanted to set up the required design, compliance, identity, connectivity, and automation for subsequent products.
The opportunity was to increase the agility of releases and to reduce the overall costs of hosting compared to the on-premises deployment and to apply these advantages to the entire portfolio of applications.
Outcomes and Benefits
- 100% automation for all Azure IaaS and PaaS resources for the solution.
- 90% automation for the ArcGIS application that was deployed on this infrastructure
- A highly secure Azure implementation that passed internal security review
- A reduction from a 2 week manual application deployment to 5 hours.
- A repeatable pattern that can be applied for subsequent products at EVO Energy.
- Over 500 Azure resources that were automated.
- Setup and designed the Azure environment using secure practices and designs.
- Automated the setup using a DevOps pipeline to manage the provisioning of environments
- Automation of deployment of the GIS system.
- Automation of the provisioning of many sub-components including Active Directory, Citrix, SQL Server, Application Gateway, VNets, NSG's, Monitoring and logging, DNS, Certificates and Azure Relay to connect to internal systems. TenBagsFull firstly analyzed the various components and design, provided several options papers for each major component. TenBagsFull provided a detailed design and manually implemented this design to ensure the IaaS and PaaS configuration would work correctly. Each component was then automated using our existing PowerShell libraries and ARM template libraries. This was subsequently integrated into a DevOps pipeline using VSTS. This allowed for continuous deployment to lower environments of any Azure infrastructure concern.