Profiling Cloud Readiness of Application Portfolios
You need to profile your application and service portfolio to determine where you can obtain your highest ROI applications.
TBFConsulting will profile your application portfolio by doing the following
- Collect and collate information on your application portfolio
- Apply a cloud decision framework to each application
- Determine the cost of migrating each application to the cloud
- Provide an ROI on migrating each application
- Provide a cloud roadmap based on this analysis
Importantly you also need to determine what applications do not make sense going to the cloud. There are a number of companies that have already transitioned to the cloud only to bring their applications back on-premise.
Replatform Applications for the Cloud
To take advantages of the cloud you should leverage the platform capabilities on offer. This applies to both bespoke application developments and Custom off the Shelf (COTS).
Replatforming can include the following
- Containerising an application and automating deployment
- Change from self-managed database to cloud managed database
- Leverage cloud monitoring and logging services
- Leverage cloud Networking and appliance (application gateways, firewalls)
- Leverage any cloud services that provides platform services to the application
Redevelop Applications using Cloud Services
If you are involved in software development then to fully leverage the cloud you should redevelop your applications to maximize the benefits of the cloud.
This would include
- Developing your applications as microservices using serverless computing (functions and lambda)
- Utilising API gateway and providing API enabled applications
- Utilising containers or PaaS hosting to provide scalability and isolation
- Utilising the many SaaS and PaaS services available to deliver application functions (search, document databases, etc)
You will realise a significant reduction in hosting costs over all other cloud migration options, at a higher migration cost.
Lift and Shift Applications to the Cloud
Lift and shift involve taking existing workloads from on premise and moving them to the cloud. Lift and shift requires some supporting PaaS platform services such as networking and security to be setup.
It involves the following
- Taking Virtual Machines and importing them into cloud
- Reinstalling applications on cloud infrastructure (VM's if traditional applications and containers if new applications
Cloud Deployment Automation
The greatest advantage of the cloud is that infrastructure can be turned into code, allowing the provisioning of infrastructure to follow the same practices that have been applied to software development for the last few decades.
Cloud Automation provides repeatability, a reduction in staff to maintain provisioning and maintenance, agility as it increases the speed of delivery and an improvement of overall quality.
In includes the following
- Creating declarative representations of infrastructure using templates (ARM, Terraform or CloudFormation)
- Using imperative techniques to provide solution blueprints (Powershell)
- Bootstrapping application deployment (Powershell, Kubernetes, puppet, chef)
- Continuous Integration and Deployment (Jenkins, VSTS)